NSW Someone used my bank account for his Earning

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Moazzam ali

17 September 2017
My name is Ali. I’m on student visa. I made a friend when i came to Australia in 2014. He was working with a Marketing Company and working on Comission bases. We became good friends. I started working with him on ABN. Later on, we quit that job and he started working in Different Marketing company. I asked him that i wanna work with you. He asked to carry my passport, ID and ABN. We went to his office and they copied my documents. But they didn’t hire me. So i changed my Job. Later on, my friend asked me that he want to use my Bank account to get his pay. I gave him my account and went to overseas due to my Mothers operation. I came back after 7 months. I totally forgot about my account during my overseas tour. I asked him to give me my bank account access. And i became to know that his company paid him around $190,000 in 8 months. I asked him, ‘’ What is this ??’’ . He said don’t worry Company paid me on my ABN but it transfered in your account.

1) Am i eligible to pay the Tax on this Money ?
2) How can i check my total earning on my ABN in last year ?
3) And i think the documents his company Copied they might used it somewhere. How can i check that ?
4) May be his company paid him on my ABN ?
How can i check this?

Thanks everyone is advane for helping me in this matter.
Cheers

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
No polite way to say this - you could be in a fair bit of trouble.

By "working on an ABN" you may have done something unlawful
(in Australia, this is an illegal way of working called "sham contracting").
You may also be in breach of the conditions of your student visa.
You may also be the victim of offences and civil wrongs
committed by your so-called friend.

Take yourself to see a solicitor who is also a Registered Migration Agent immediately.
Understand that a Migration Agent who is not a lawyer will not be able to help you.
Understand also that an Education Agent will not be able to help you.,