SA Compulsory Police Checks for Incorporated Association

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Les Laub

30 May 2014
Can incorporated associations bar members who do not have a National Police Check from its activities. The South Australian Astronomy Association now makes it compulsory for its members to have a police check to attend some of their functions. Is this lawful?

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi Les,
  1. Have you asked the SA Astronomy Association to explain why a police check is now required for attendance at all events?
  2. Is the mandatory police check requirement set out in the Constitution and/or Rules of the Incorporated Association? This is generally expected per SA Consumer and Business Services (CBS) Good Governance Checklist for Incorporated Associations.
  3. Sidenote - If you are concerned about the protection of your personal information (privacy), you may also want to ask the SA Astronomy Association for a copy of their privacy policy to understand how they will use and securely store your police check.
Hope this helps.

Les Laub

30 May 2014
The best I can get out of the organisation is this statement:
All members of the Astronomical Society of South Australia Inc (ASSA) who volunteer at any
public attended event organised and/or sanctioned by the ASSA are required to hold a
current National Police Check.

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi Les,
I'm only aware of section 30 of the Associations Incorporation Act 1985 (SA) that requires members of an incorporated association's committee to have no current/serious convictions.
Given that the Astronomical Society of South Australia (ASSA) statement sets out that a National Police Check is only required for members that volunteer at events, I can only imagine that this additional requirement is part of their Rules and risk mitigation strategy.

Les Laub

30 May 2014
Would it therefore be a requirement to have the rule included in the constitution?

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney