QLD Coercive control.. spending.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Mumma

28 February 2021
Can I get my ex to stop spending huge money on home improvements ( we dont need) while we are in the process of divorce and settlement?
He is doing everything he can not to pay for responsibilities, withholding my car and cutting off our services including internet and health insurance without warning.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
This sounds like a thing that Family Law calls "dissipation".
It's quite common.
Have a read of this.

Atticus

6 February 2019
Can I get my ex to stop spending huge money on home improvements ( we dont need) while we are in the process of divorce and settlement?
Need more info on your exact circumstances to comment properly,
such as is the house in both names?
is the money being spent joint funds, ie, accumulated during your time pre separation?
Does one party intend to buy out the others share?

For example, If there are funds being spent on home improvements that will add value to the place, you may both benefit when it's sold.
He is doing everything he can not to pay for responsibilities, withholding my car and cutting off our services including internet and health insurance without warning.
Again depends on your circumstances, but generally when a couple separate, services like internet, phones, electricity, health insurance etc becomes the responsibility of each person.

Mumma

28 February 2021
Need more info on your exact circumstances to comment properly,
such as is the house in both names?
is the money being spent joint funds, ie, accumulated during your time pre separation?
Does one party intend to buy out the others share?

For example, If there are funds being spent on home improvements that will add value to the place, you may both benefit when it's sold.

Again depends on your circumstances, but generally when a couple separate, services like internet, phones, electricity, health insurance etc becomes the responsibility of each person.
Thanks for your reply .. yes assets were accumulated while together .. Son 7 and I were away, came back to find my car was gone from where I left it ( house in town) and our things thrown into that property. . his work car was left in place of mine. I cannot access our home and my horses without my 4wd.. son usually attends pony club. He also has in his possession our 4wd utility.. his car work car is a sports car.
Still no explanation as to why 5 weeks later.
I renovate houses, the things he is doing is not adding value I can assure you. He has stopped our joint accounts and not bothering to see Mr 7.

Atticus

6 February 2019
The only thing that will compel him to stop is a court order.. You can file an initiating application for financial settlement with the family court along with interim orders... That can be a DIY application (see family circuit court website) or with the assistance of a solicitor.

Mumma

28 February 2021
The only thing that will compel him to stop is a court order.. You can file an initiating application for financial settlement with the family court along with interim orders... That can be a DIY application (see family circuit court website) or with the assistance of a solicitor.
Unfortunately by the time it got to court would be too late.