VIC Co-Worker Offering Financial Incentive for Untrue Statutory Declaration - Legal?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

GeoffC

22 January 2017
Our workplace has an issue with a former co-worker who has complained about her employer to Fair Work Australia. My question, however, does not relate to a Fair Work issue but the fact that she is offering financial inducements to another employee to provide a Statutory Declaration supporting her complaint, which the other employee says would be untrue.

I assume that falsly swearing a Statatutory Declaration would lead to legal issues but is it illegal to: (1) offer financial inducements ($100+) to sign a Statutory Declaration and (2) ask a person to provide an untrue Statutory Declaration?

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
In short:

(1) Yes and;
(2) Yes

GeoffC

22 January 2017
Our workplace has an issue with a former co-worker who has complained about her employer to Fair Work Australia. My question, however, does not relate to a Fair Work issue but the fact that she is offering financial inducements to another employee to provide a Statutory Declaration supporting her complaint, which the other employee says would be untrue.

I assume that falsly swearing a Statatutory Declaration would lead to legal issues but is it illegal to: (1) offer financial inducements ($100+) to sign a Statutory Declaration and (2) ask a person to provide an untrue Statutory Declaration?

In Victoria, who do you see to follow this up? The employee being offered the 'incentive' has now signed a Stat Dec confirming the offer of inducement.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
They have committed perjury which is a criminal offence punishable by up to 15 years in prison. The police follow this up. A NSW judge a few years ago was jailed for lying in stat decs.

Maybe a quiet word on the person's year might see them tear up the stat dec saving everyone time and effort.

Reactions: GeoffC