NSW Citizenship application while on Conditional Release Order

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Samir

16 March 2015
Hello,

Next month I would meet the residency requirements to be eligible to apply for citizenship.

In January this year however I had a drink driving offense (1st and only offense I have) and got a Conditional Release Order for 18 months. I was not fined and my license was not suspended. The order reads as follows:

"You are found guilty, but without proceeding to conviction, are directed to enter into a Conditional Release Order for 18 months pursuant to Section 9(1)(b) of the Crimes (Sentencing Procedure) Act 1999 to commence on 5 February 2019."

Does this mean I have to wait until the 18 months expire (in August 2020) in order to apply?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Consult a lawyer who is also a Registered Migration Agent
for case specific advice.

Mukulgup

24 March 2021
Hi Samir, please let us know what has happened post this? Keen to know as I am also in same boat

Samir

16 March 2015
Hi Samir, please let us know what has happened post this? Keen to know as I am also in same boat
Hello,

I ended up applying for it as soon as I was eligible. I attached a statutory declaration to my application explaining what happened. My application was approved without any hiccups. Good luck!!

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Depends....
On the one hand, if all you got was a CRO, then your offence
might not be an offence serious enough to see you fail the Character Test.

OTOH, you are obliged to disclose any change in your circumstances to Home Affairs.
Concealing your CRO will almost certainly see your application rejected on that ground.