NSW Child support question

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Kyl

25 July 2016
hi
We have consent orders whereby my 17 and 14.5 were living with my ex 100%. 8 weeks he exited them from his house and they returned to my 100% care. In our orders it states that the parents must give due regard for the wishes of these children as to when the choose to spend time with either parent. That this point in time they have expressed that they will not go back to my ex. I am the paying parent under CS. I rang and advised of this change of care, a few weeks went by and eventually CS phoned me and they said that I have to continue to pay CS for 14 weeks even though the kids are living with me, they said Because there are court orders this is the rule and I have no right to appeal this. The CS guy then said that me ex has 14 days from today's date to prove he is acting to have the kids returned, with the knowledge that he can still get CS and not have the kids he told them he will call police who can not get involved and CS said that this will be acceptable for him to continue to collect for 14 weeks. Since then I recieved a letter saying my ex is disputing that I have 100% care and I need to provide evidence. I'm totally confused to say the least. My questions are
1. Is the 14 week rule correct
2. Do I have any right to challenge this
3. If he provides no evidence or limited evidence that he wants the kids back does the 14 week rule still apply and if not does he have to pay CS from the date care changed?
4. What would be considered reasonable evidence by CS in relation to my ex trying to get the kids back.
I must stress that I am not denying access or allianating the kids they are completely open to be able to have both parents in their lives but they choose not to ATM.

sammy01

27 September 2015
14 week rule... YEP... BUT..... I think.... that at the end of the 14 weeks if care has not been changed back to him then it is classed as an overpayment. I'd check that with CSA.
I would challenge CSA - I think reasonable steps to have the kids return is more than just calling the cops, because as you have rightly said, and as they ought to know, it is not a police matter. Reasonable steps would be a letter from a solicitor, OR requesting mediation OR applying to court...

I'd wait 14 days - if he hasn't done anything like contact you via a solicitor then I'd be hitting CSA up for a review... I would then consider taking it to AAT

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
1. Yes.
2. Yes, if you can prove special circumstances (eg police report alleging violence, doctors report, exposing kids to drugs/alcohol etc). Unlikely to apply based on your post.
3. Do not know. Good question for CSA.
4. Notifying police the children have been taken without consent. Conditions on your ex are not onerous - you are the one that has broken the care arrangement. (I'm not judging here, just saying how CSA view the matter).