WA Child Support - meant to pay for...?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

MP78

14 October 2016
Question re: Child Support

Parent B pays CS to parent A as per current assessment, through private collect arrangement.

Parent B pays all education, extra curricular expenses, private health insurance and medical expenses, on assumption only rather than agreement (Parent A simply refuses to contribute).

No parenting agreement or orders in place.
No chance of negotiating with parent A on either above mentioned expenses or reduction of CS.

Q -

Can parent B reasonably ask CSA to account for health insurance, education expenses ect (aim of slightly reducing amount) or would CSA advise parent B to take it up with parent A? Is Parent B stuck paying 100% of these expenses regardless?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
CSA won’t intercede unless it is an agency collect situation. And they will only change to agency collect at the payee’s request.

If the other parent doesn’t want to expend on those things, you generally can’t make them. Therefore if you want them, you need to pay for it.

Jackson34

14 July 2019
I am paying child support for my 4 year year old daughter whom I have never met. I backed off from ever meeting her as the mother was giving me a hard time , i wasn't allowed to know where they lived or even where they are i have no clue.
The mother has court documents and has some parental responsibility for my daughter. My family and friends are encouraging me to meet my daughter and deep down I would like to. I am re married and my wife doesn't like the idea of me meeting my daughter given her age. She wouldn't know who I am . The child's mum wouldn't approve either . What can I do to make this right. Do you believe I don't have a right to meet my daughter ? If you think I should meet her how can I go about it

MP78

14 October 2016
@Rob Legat

Thank you, appreciated. Frustrating that parent B is stuck paying for education and medical alone. Wouldn't allow the children to go without though, so I suppose it is what it is.

Thanks

sammy01

27 September 2015
Jackson, it is your choice. It could be a long and bumpy road through court though...

MP78 Pay child support. That is all you have to pay.

But - you need to have a think. Is mum gonna stop you seeing the kids as a result. Why not force the issue and get court orders. NB only 5% of cases ever go to a final hearing. So it might not be as bad as you think.

MP78

14 October 2016
@sammy01

Kids are old enough to go spend time with parent A themselves, and parent B wouldn't withhold contact anyway as it's not in their best interests. Can't evade education costs as parent B is alone on the enrolment so is liable for costs (parent A refuses to join the enrolment), and also wouldn't put their education at risk. Can't share medical costs because parent A refuses to contribute so only option is for children's health to be neglected (which is a non-option).

It's just a way for parent A to be belligerent, unfortunately. Not to worry though, children are educated, healthy, involved in sport and shared between both parents, so a good outcome. Parent B can focus on this and weather the financial storm for the remaining CS time.

Thanks for the feedback