NSW Child support backdated

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

A.hawkins76

20 June 2019
I am an adult woman in her 40's with 2 daughters and recently divorced. I am struggling financially and am considering asking my birth father for a lump sum contribution to help me. My birth father divorced my mother back in the late 70's and chose to be absent from my life. He never paid child support to my mother and I am an only child. From what I know he has property, access to his super and is well of mind and health. So I was wondering if I should persue asking him for a payment to make up for his lack of financial support while I was growing up in some way. I don't feel very comfortable about asking for money but do I have a right to request backpayment ( my mother is deceased)

KKaren

22 March 2019
You can ask anything you want. I think your chances of getting a cent are zero.

Atticus

6 February 2019
So I was wondering if I should persue asking him for a payment to make up for his lack of financial support while I was growing up in some way. I don't feel very comfortable about asking for money but do I have a right to request backpayment ( my mother is deceased)

You have no legal 'right' to request, and no legal avenue to purse it...

You could invite him into your life and see how it goes... He may just want to help if he forms a relationship with you and the kids... Perhaps there may even be more to why he severed contact then you know.

Reactions: A.hawkins76

Lennon

11 September 2014
I think what you’re likely to ‘get’ is cut out of your father’s will.

You’re in your 40’s, why would he pay child support for you? I cannot understand that attitude of entitlement.

A.hawkins76

20 June 2019
It's more just wondering if he would like to help us in some way to get back on track. Not so much child support but just a small financial contribution to help me and the girls. But yes he is basically a stranger and I shouldn't be bothering him.

KKaren

22 March 2019
If he didn’t care enough to support you as a child, there is no way he will care about your kids.

A.hawkins76

20 June 2019
Yes - I guess I was hoping he may have softened in his old age and want to help out of some guilt but yes I need to leave the past where it is.