QLD Thoughts on Backdating Child Support?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

JadeGoldCoast

7 October 2017
Hi all,

I was just reading a post about a judge ordering child support to be backdated and it got me thinking.

Currently, my partner is not paying child support for his son, however, this is not out of choice. Not long after my partner started court proceedings, the mother cancelled her child support claim that my partner had been paying for the previous four years.

He immediately applied to pay child support but the mother rejected his claim.

Is there a possibility that my partner could be ordered to back pay the child support for the previous year?

Are we best to apply to pay child support again?

Any help appreciated!

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
That circumstance is different to yours.

I'd still put the money aside for a 'rainy day' and use it for Uni/first car if it not called on earlier.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Make sure you have something in writing from CSA to prove the facts...

I agree with Rod, it is one thing to deny paternity to avoid CS it is another for the ex to refuse to accept CS which appears to be the case in your example

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
And the payer cannot request agency collection (where the money is paid direct to CSA), only the payee. While it’s private collect, they can only go back so far without a court order.

JadeGoldCoast

7 October 2017
Sorry for the delayed response but thanks so much for your time! We are going to open up an account for the child and start putting money into it weekly.

Thefactsonly

30 January 2017
Great idea - regardless if there is no CSA notice telling you to do so and you have evidence of trying to/and have had it rejected then it will still bode you well with the court system should it ever become an issue. On a side note, the child may very well appreciate the assistance as they get closer to independence age!