WA Child Protection and Care - Can I Take Care as Grandparent?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Cassy. Clinch

29 December 2014
Hello, my Grandson is in care and I would like him to be placed into my care or someone else's because the carers are leaving to go North (custody of children). This will make it impossible for his parents as well as myself to see him. How can I get it through to the department that my brother (who cares for him) wants to leave him here?

How is it possible for the DCP (Department for Child Protection) to be told that a child in care shouldn't be taken away when no one wants to take him?

Tracy B

24 December 2014
Australia
Hi Cassy,

If your grandson is in the protective care of the state, you can contact the department and ask for your grandson to be placed in your care in this time. The department will consider your submission and will decide on the basis of what is in the best interests of the child. I assume that the protective care stems from a Children's Court order, depending on what the order says, you may need the court's consent to vary the order. Alternatively, if you wish to challenge the department's decision, you will need to apply to court and ask for a variation of the department's decision.

Perhaps speak with WA Legal Aid for how to go about this.