Cheated into Purchasing Faulty Car - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Nithin

10 November 2016
I bought a car from a person but I've been cheated. It's an accidental car and full of complaints.

Please help me get my money back.

S

Sophea

Hi Nithin,

Where did you buy the car? How old is it? And what is wrong with it?

S

Sophea

The Australian Consumer Law does not apply to private purchases so there are no warranties that are implied such a sale. This means that you buy a car as is and its "buyer beware". You must take all precautions and do all inspections necessary to assure yourself that the car is adequate for your purposes and is in good mechanical condition and all the features are in working order.

The only cause of action you may have against some that you purchase a car off, if the car turns out to have defects is if the person specifically told you that it was working when it actually wasn't. This would provide grounds to sue them under common law for misleading and deceptive conduct.

Faulty Second Hand Car? Your Options as a Buyer - Legal Blog - LawAnswers.com.au

S

Sophea

If it's a statutory write off then its illegal to sell it, but if its classified a repairable write off then it is legal to re-sell it as long as it has a roadworthy safety certificate and passes a written off vehicle inspection.

That's the case in Qld anyway.