QLD Centrelink Fraud and Gambling Addiction - Chances of Prison?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jay

23 June 2014
Ok, in 2010 I was charged and convicted of fraud against the commonwealth (Centrelink fraud). For under declaring wages whilst receiving Single parenting payment, the amount was roughly 16,000. I was giving a few options, but choose to take a 3 month suspended sentence and 2 years good behaviour.

Since 2011 to roughly Oct-Nov 2013 I under declared again on and off. In October I stated over declaring my wages, for example I might have made say $600 a fortnight, but said I made 1800. I rang anonymously and asked if I did this would it fix up what I had under declared in the past. They advised me that it would. So I thought this might balance what I would owe. In Feb-April 2013 I received a letter saying that I had been selected for a payment review. I had assumed that this was because my youngest child was turning 6 and I would no longer be entitled to the parenting payment. I thought even with the review I would be OK, because I had over declared my income and if anything it would be a small debt owed. I received a call the other day from Centrelink to advice me that I hadn't been entitled to receive any form of payment Since Aug 2011 as i earned to much. So I owe them 22k in over payments. She said that in the months between Aug-Oct the amount I earned would have cancelled out any payment I would have received. I awaiting the paperwork to clarify this, as from their records I didn't declare anything.

At the end of the day i recognise that once again I've done the wrong thing, I have suffered a progressive and long term gambling addiction on a off for the last 10 years. This is not an excuse for my behaviour. I understand I deserve to be punished for these crimes. What I'm wondering is what are the chances of not going to jail? I'm more than happy to do ANYTHING that keeps me out of prison. I have 2 daughters aged 14 and 6 and I'm currently 4.5 months pregnant with my 3rd. I'm worried about what happens to them if get locked up. My eldest daughters father is in jail for drug related crimes and his family is unfit to care for her. My youngest daughter, if she went to her fathers, I'm afraid I'd never get her back. What happens to the child I'm carrying? I'm starting to stress out over this.

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi Jay,
Which state/territory are you in? Have you contacted a lawyer, legal aid or a community legal centre to date?

Jay

23 June 2014
John, I'm in qld. I haven't contacted a lawyer yet as I'm awaiting the official paper work to arrive.