SA Caught with Ammo but No Guns or Licence?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Daniel79

20 February 2015
I was caught with a hand full of bullets with no licence and we're not poked up but with no guns or firearms. I am to appear in court soon. I go spotlighting with mates and at the end of the night when I get home I have a few bullets still in my pocket that I keep for next time. What is going to happen what do I do/say, what is the charge under criminal law most likely to be?

Tracy B

24 December 2014
Australia
Hi Daniel79,

If you are to appear in Court soon, the police should have told you the charge(s) you are alleged with. What are your charges? Have you asked the police for a copy of your charge brief?

In relation to the police search, did the police search you (i) in a public place; or (ii) with a warrant? Were you arrested just for possessing ammunition or were there other offences?

Have you contacted Legal Aid SA? They may be able to further assist you in obtaining your charge brief and discussing the merits of your case.

Daniel79

20 February 2015
Hi Daniel79,

If you are to appear in Court soon, the police should have told you the charge(s) you are alleged with. What are your charges? Have you asked the police for a copy of your charge brief?

In relation to the police search, did the police search you (i) in a public place; or (ii) with a warrant? Were you arrested just for possessing ammunition or were there other offences?

Have you contacted Legal Aid SA? They may be able to further assist you in obtaining your charge brief and discussing the merits of your case.
Hi Daniel79,

My charges are having ammunition not stored in a locked box and away from firearms but I had no firearms to keep them away from and possession of a millatry round of ammunition whitch was not modified to not fire butactually had no gun powder in it and the primer had gone off. The police had a warrent to serch the guys house that I was living with at the time the police said that I was just collateral damage and I was not who the were after.

Tracy B

24 December 2014
Australia
Hi Daniel79,

If you have already been charged, the police should have given you a charge sheet that details what legislation and which provisions under the legislation they are alleging you. What is the legislation, and provision, under which you have been charged?

Have you contacted legal aid (link above) or your local legal community centre?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
We had a similar question a while back.
It's not quite the same, but might help a bit.
You can read that thread here

Daniel79

20 February 2015
The charges are, failed to store ammunition in a locked container separately from firearms. Regulations 41(1) and 61 of the firearms regulations, 2008. And, had in his possession a round of military ammunition that was not modified so that it was incapable of being fired. Regulation 41(3) and regulation 61 of the firearms regulations, 2008.
No I have not contacted legal aid

Ivy

10 February 2015
Hi Daniel,

As was suggested above, I also agree and suggest that you contact Legal Aid or your local community Legal Centre in SA immediately. If they are unable to assist, they should be able to direct to you a Legal Firm who can.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
I concur with the above - time to get yourself a lawyer.