VIC Care Park Fines - Fine for Not Showing Parking Ticket?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jack O'Neil

20 July 2015
I've received a parking fine from Care Park for not displaying a valid ticket. I had to drop off my wife to her appointment at Sunshine Private Hospital with our newborn in our car which I'm here to look after her while my wife attends her appointment. The appointment was located here in Melbourne West (Sunshine).

I've parked the car, dropped off my wife, but left the car idle for a good 5 minutes. However, our new born had woken up and started to cry. I had to get out of the car, comfort her, but couldn't because she was hungry at this time (breastfed). I had to contact my wife to come down, but by the time it happened she is about to go to the consult room. Nothing I can do, I had to pack the baby bags, take out the pram and go a meet up with my wife. 30 minutes later it's finished, came back to our car and we had the find stuck on our windscreen.

The 'fine' or should I say "Payment Notice & Tax Invoice" that I have to pay $66 by due date within 14 days or pay total amount of $88.

What would be my stance in this circumstance? Assistance would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Edit: The notice on the ticket is "Code 001" - "The vehicle did not display a valid ticket or pass"

Reactions: hadia siddiqui

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi Jack,
I may have mis-read your question and have two questions that may help clarify:
  1. Did you purchase a car park ticket from the Care Park machine or attendant?
  2. Did you speak with any Care Park representative (or Sunshine Private Hospital employee) at the time?

Jack O'Neil

20 July 2015
Hi John, thanks for the response. To answer your questions:
1. No, I didn't have time. I know I should of, but due to my circumstance, particular my new born crying so bad I couldn't wait any longer.
2. Unfortunately I didn't see any Care Park representatives walking around. If they were there, I would of explained the situation.

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi Jack,
You may consider reviewing this recent blog post: Private Car Park Fines - Know Your Rights - Legal Blog - LawAnswers.com.au
Given the circumstances, you may consider simply ignoring the fine or writing a letter to explain (with supporting evidence) the facts surrounding the event and offer to pay the standard car park rate for the time that you were parked. Hope this helps.

Jack O'Neil

20 July 2015
Thank you for the response John R, will have a read through it. It appears that I do have some stance in this circumstance, I'll see how it goes.