WA Appealing a parking infringement

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Diahan

22 January 2019
I received a parking infringement from City of Stirling even though I purchased a ticket. It had literally blown off the dash board when I opened the opposite car door to get something. I kept my ticket.

When I checked the appeals process the website stated that having a ticket and sending it in did not constitute a valid reason for waiving the fine as not only do you have to purchase a ticket but must also display it. Who would actually buy a ticket but not display it just to get a fine? That doesn't make sense to me. Isn't the intent of the law to ensure that you pay for parking - in which case I did. Why isn't it a valid reason for appeal? If they won't waive it and I have to go to court how much might it cost?

Thank you

kevin586

14 January 2019
I would lodge an appeal to the council anyway, if they still knock it back then consider taking it to court but keep in mind for these people, councils, fines are often their second biggest money earner as you can see its just a business for them.

They can withdraw a ticket for any reason they wish right up until your about to walk into the court room. I had one withdrawn in Joondalup because they they knew the parking inspector wrote the wrong offense in the ticket but they waited until the last minute to see if I would pay it.

Local councils are run just like commercial business these days because the CEO gets a percentage of gross turnover just like the private sector.

Watch out for their inventive income streams such as putting your rubbish bins out too early.