SA Car Drivers Licence - Speeding Fine on Motorbike Unlicenced?

Discussion in 'Traffic Law Forum' started by Justy666, 9 December 2019.

1. Justy666

Justy666 Active Member

If you hold a full car drivers licence & you are caught speeding on a motorbike but have never held a motorbike licence at all, do you lose your car drivers licence?

2. Scruff

Scruff Well-Known Member

That's a good question. Assuming that the two are treated as a single licence with multiple classes (and I don't know if that's the case or not), then I think the answer would be yes - it could happen. But I'm a long way from being sure about that, so I wait in interest to see what the experts say.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Justy666 likes this.
  3. Justy666

Justy666 Active Member

Precisely my thoughts

4. Atticus

Atticus Well-Known Member

My thoughts are that a licence is a privilege, not a right... Consequently, If you accrue sufficient demit points or are caught breaking a law that carries immediate suspension, then you lose that privilege & with it a license to drive any motor vehicle on a public road.

Justy666 likes this.
  5. Jake Matherson

Jake Matherson Well-Known Member

QLD full car license and full motorcycle license holder.
    Example: 3 points in the car and 3 points on the bike = 6 points on your license.
    12 points and you're walking.

I would be more worried about the unlicensed riding.
    Plus you're not insured if you kill someone.

Under section 74 of the Motor Vehicles Act 1959 (SA)

If a driver is caught driving without a valid licence and where they have never been authorised to drive a vehicle of that class, the maximum penalty is $2500.
    But if the driver has never been authorised and is convicted of driving without a licence a second or subsequent time within 3 years of an earlier offence of:
    1. driving without ever having been authorised; or
    2. driving while disqualified
    there is a mandatory minimum 3 year licence disqualification, in addition to a maximum penalty of $5000 or imprisonment for 1 year.

Justy666 likes this.
  6. Justy666

Justy666 Active Member

Totally agree with you 100% here.

7. Justy666

Justy666 Active Member

That's the section I found & read also, hence why I am now confused as to whether it will affect the car licence & whether or not you would lose or suspend that car licence from this.

8. Jake Matherson

Jake Matherson Well-Known Member

My interpretation is

If it's your first offence "Riding unlicensed" you will get some points on your car licence for speeding + a fine for speeding and a fine for unlicensed driving.

If you get caught again on the bike unlicensed you will lose the ability to dive a car for a minimum of 3 years.

Not a lawyer or someone that has been through an unlicensed riding charge.
    Just a punter on the page giving you my opinion.

Justy666 likes this.
  9. Justy666

Justy666 Active Member

That was what I got from it too...........

I Just wasn't sure if I was misleading myself with my interpretation of it being.....................

*** Is it just an extra fine for the riding unlicenced motorbike on top of the speeding fine & points deduct ??...........

*** OR .. Is it a suspend or loss of car licence on top of the speeding fine & extra fine for riding unlicenced ??.......

& ALSO........

Where it then says that if convicted of driving without a licence a second or subsequent time within 3 years of an earlier offence of:
    1. driving without ever having been authorised; or
    2. driving while disqualified
    there is a mandatory minimum 3 year licence disqualification, in addition to a maximum penalty of $5000 or imprisonment for 1 year.

Is this referring to just the motorbike offence fines - 'riding unlicenced within 3 years of an earlier offence of riding unlicenced or disqualified' ??

OR

*** Is this referring to fines for driving as a whole ?? - So car/bike/boat, whatever licence you hold or vehicle you operate is included in the driving without a licence a second or subsequent time within 3 years of an earlier offence'

& When do the 3 years start from ........ From the date of the fine ??
    From the date of the court judgement ??
    From the start date of licence disqualification/susupension ??
    From the end date of the licence disqualifiation/suspension ??