WA Car Accident - Person who Hit Me Not Answering My Calls?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
27 June 2014
Hey, around 3 weeks ago I got into a car accident (rear ended, so not my fault) and the person that hit me gave me her full details (such as name and address) but didn't include her car insurance details which she said she has. I also have a photo of her drivers licence which it says it has expired in 2010.

Since I only have 3rd party car insurance, my insurance provider cannot fix my car. Now whenever I try to call the woman that hit me she either doesn't respond or she answers the phone, swears at me then hangs up.
I tried contacting the police for help but they couldn't do anything.

I've been told it would cost around $4,000 to repair my car.

What can I do right now? I'm stuck with no motor vehicle to transport in.

Thank you.

P.S. I live in Western Australia.

Tim W

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Is there finance on the car?

John R

Well-Known Member
14 April 2014
Hi Mustafa,
I'm not sure whether you've reviewed some of the recent legal questions in the Insurance Law Forum.

Have you sent the driver a registered letter of demand for the $4,000?
If not, you may want to consider drafting a letter of demand to the driver using the Legal Aid WA - Accidents - Making a claim - not using your insurance and Legal Aid WA - Sample letter of demand for car accidents (PDF) as a guide to:
  1. the address that she provided;
  2. the address on her expired drivers licence; and
  3. via SMS.
Hope this helps. Please keep us updated with your progress.