VIC Car Accident - Other Party Ignoring Communications - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sheree42

18 April 2016
On my way home from my little brother's birthday, a Ute trailer cut me off at a small roundabout, I smashed into the back of his trailer and caused significant damage to my car. I was going the speed limit and have video footage of him not giving way (I don't even think he bothered to look). Then I went to a no fault smash repairs and gave them the details of the car accident where they passed it over to a legal company.

The company has tried to reach the other party but they have ignored all communication even after 2 months. I'm still able to drive my car but it's not in the best condition. The hood is wonky and heavily dented and disfigured and I believe there is a tiny water leak.

I need this car to go to work (5 mins away) and try to drive very sparingly. I have 3rd party car insurance and I'm pretty sure he has none.

I'm scared that my car is going to get even worse and I'll have no choice but to pay for the damages myself (on a low paying job).

Please, what can I do?

Ponala

10 February 2015
Need to send letters of demand etc., and maybe get a solicitor onto it.