NSW Car Accident - Car Insurance Company Will Only Repair Car?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

kevin1960

27 January 2016
Hi,

I wonder if you could give me an answer to this problem I have come up against. I was in a car accident on the Harbor Bridge. I only have third party car insurance.

Past details: got their letter in the post re whose fault after 6 months. They agreed that their party was at fault. I rang a few times and wrote a letter of demand and they never got back to me after a year and me replacing my car in this time.

I made a second of demand and their answer was that they would only repair the old car and would not pay out any other way. Can they do this under Insurance Law?

I have a valid quote which is from one of their listed repair shops dated 2 weeks after the accident. This has been going on for close to 2.5 years now and I feel they're just fobbing me off. Could someone please let me know my next move or just let them get way with it?

Regards

S

Sophea

I would recommend that you escalate the dispute through your insurer's Internal Dispute Resolution (IDR) process. The General Insurance Code of Practice requires that all insurers have an IDR process in place. If this doesn't work, then you should contact the Financial Ombudsman Service which can assist in resolving disputes between consumers and insurers.