NSW Cancer treatment employee rights

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

MrsDoubtfire

25 November 2019
I have recently been diagnosed as early stage cancer and commenced chemotherapy. Due to the uncertainty of side effects I put in a request for part time hours instead of working full time which was granted however my 12 month contract just expired for my full time position and they weren't going to renew it based on part time as its "full time" role only. And my part time hours are now at casual status. My question is can they do that as people with cancer comes under the disabilities act and what rights do I have in that sense.

Paul Cott

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
26 May 2014
Ballarat, Victoria
You may have what is called a general protections claim if your employer took adverse action (not renewing your contract probably) because of the fact that you had or have a disability. On the other hand, there is no legal requirement as such on an employer to renew your contract as, for example, it may be the role only works for the employer if it’s done by a full time employee. I hope that helps.