ACT Employment Contract Notification for Casual Uni Employee?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

TBC1201

11 June 2017
I have worked as casual employee at University over a number of terms. I had access to staff email account. I had become aware that I recently could not access my email. I was advised that I had a contract in place, which had just expired.

I was not aware that I had an employment contract in place and that it was expiring. I was accessing my staff email while not on contract for a year and while moving houses and also had critical personal and professional communication that I can no longer access including correspondence relating to family member with cancer.

I asked the uni for access and they said 2 days ago I am former staff member. If I knew this access was to expire I would have undertaken preparations to avoid being without critical documentation.

Do I have a right to be notified of a contract start and finish date? I have had acknowledgement in writing that this notification has not occurred. Secondly, it has caused severe stress that was not reasonably foreseeable?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Talk to your ex-boss if they a reasonable type and they may be able to have access restored for a short time.

As this was a work email address using it for private matters would not normally be acceptable and you have no recourse. Lack of notification of the end of employment is not related to email access and won't see access restored on this basis. Be nice, plead and hope for the best.

TBC1201

11 June 2017
Talk to your ex-boss if they a reasonable type and they may be able to have access restored for a short time.

As this was a work email address using it for private matters would not normally be acceptable and you have no recourse. Lack of notification of the end of employment is not related to email access and won't see access restored on this basis. Be nice, plead and hope for the best.

All employers I have worked for have allowed reasonable and/or limited access to use of e-mail and mobile phones as part of the policies. Actually,

Actually, lack of notification for not having access to e-mail meant not being able to prepare for leaving by letting former students and colleagues know my new e-mail interest, take down their contact details and advising that I am no longer employed, downloading testimonials and recommendation letters, e-mails that relate to Continued Professional Development for registration with professional membership body and other e-mails related to payment and employment conditions such as salary packing and other queries while employed at the university.

Actually, the issue was resolved - it was an administrative error. However, it should never have occurred in the first place.