VIC Cancelation of a building contract

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

anula

26 August 2020
i Have signed a preliminary building contract along with a HIA contract with a builder under my name. But due to the covid impact my husband lost his job and this affected to my family finance situation. so i want to cancel this contract and want to exit. but the builder saying because my husband name not in the contract they cant consider that. they going to forward to their legal team. So i want a legal advice how to exit from this contract?

Reactions: Jonathan Adcock

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Not sure what you mean by 'preliminary' HIA contract.

Give us a call during business hours and we'll see if we can help you.

15 February 2020
Melbourne / Sydney / Brisbane
Hey Anula - usually a contract to contract is not a contract..! What are the terms of your 'preliminary' contract? I own a couple of civil companies and we would never push ahead with any kind of work if the other party wants to pull out. You will however probably need to meet any costs already incurred by the builder. There are potentially a few ways to approach the problem but may I first suggest that you do not part with any money until you get actual legal advice on your 'preliminary contract'.