QLD Can you sue a Family Report Writer

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Curious11

20 August 2019
Hi,
I thought no, but in one thread it was stated that you could via a link. When I clicked on that link, nothing would show.

So, if you can sue the writer, can you please direct me with what to do or go.

If you can't sue, what other options are available as they surely can't get away with erroronous reports that affect people's lives. People can potentially lose their lives based on these reports.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Atticus

6 February 2019
Short answer, no you can't sue. They are given immunity under the act >>>> FAMILY LAW ACT 1975 - SECT 11D Immunity of family consultants
If you can't sue, what other options are available

While there are some rules around what you can do to question an expert witness ( at specified times & in a specified manner) it's very limited ..... Other than that there is an Australian standard of practice that they are supposed to be guided by >>>> http://afccnet.org.au/wp-content/up...dards-of-practice-family-assessments-FCoA.pdf ..... But it's only just that, a guideline

Only real action one can take is to report the writer to his/her relevant medical board... If there are enough complaints about one particular writer then one would 'hope' that would raise a flag...

Just another area of family law desperately in need of review & real change

Curious11

20 August 2019
Thank you so much and good to know.
I guess people's lives don't really matter. I mean these so called experts can determine outcomes that impact many families and their incompetence and bias reporting could lead to tragedies now and later on and they really are not even held accountable.
This is truly shocking and the govt state they care for people when this has probably happened many times and resulted in many deaths.