QLD Can someone steal something belonging to you when you’re not in the same country?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

CatherineW

3 December 2020
Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone can answer this dilemma for me? I I am currently living in Queensland and have a $3,000 saddle in Canada kept where my horse was. I am in the process of selling it and went via PayPal Business with a buyer in the USA. My friend went today to pick up the saddle to be shipped out to the buyer only to find it missing.

I contacted the barn manager and was told she moved it to a different locker and would let me know which one this evening (Canadian evening) Haven’t heard any word back from her. My friend collecting the saddle then went back again that same evening searched everywhere, couldn’t find it in a locker then found out this barn manager has taken my saddle home and won’t give it back unless I pay her $300 invoice she sent me 2 days ago! I learned this indirectly. I have never been overdue for any invoices to her nor have any debts owed to her. This invoice says it’s due on the 15th of this month which we have not arrived at yet.

I have sent the manager a message asking her to return the saddle to my friend so she can pick it up tomorrow to send it out to the buyer in the states. I have not yet received the money from the buyer as we went through PayPal business and they don’t release the funds until the seller (myself) can provide a tracking number to the buyer. Where do I stand in all of this? Do I threaten legal action? She has essentially stolen my $3,000 saddle over a $300 invoice and is withholding it from me. Any advice I would so appreciate!

Thanks.

Docupedia

7 October 2020
Refer the matter to the police in Canada. Since it happened there, it will be up to Canadian law as to what the action constitutes, and how it may get resolved.