QLD Pet Rehoming

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Womble2910

22 October 2021
Purchased and picked up a puppy September 5, @ 8 weeks of age, had regularly visits with him from 6 weeks of age. @12 weeks vaccination, puppy showed aggression towards Vet, Vet proceeded to highlight major concerns around puppies behaviour at a young age, the puppy choosing fight not flight claiming a major problem. Partner and I make the difficult decision to rehome. Place ad on website October 13, potential buyer makes contact and agrees to meet the puppy Saturday, October 16, has a number of other family members attend. Potential buyer suggests a 7 day trial to ensure the puppy is a fit for her and to ensure we were okay with the rehoming, seeing how distraught my daughter is. Payment is made (buyer taking puppy home) buyers daughter rushes me through the microchip/ownership transfer, assisting me to print off internet. I complete our portion, buyer doesn’t want to complete hers stating she will sort once home. My partner was outside attending to the puppy prior to the buyer taking him. No receipt was given for puppy as trial in place. October 19 my partner calls to request the end of the trial as daughter is not coping, no sleeping, breaking down into tears continually. Buyer refuses to return puppy claiming the trial was only if the puppy didn’t fit with her. What we have realised is my partner is the registered owner not me as stated in the ownership/microchip. Is there a way we can get our puppy back happily returning the funds. Do we have any legal rights to take him back.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Yeah look you could get a lawyer to write to the OP. That will cost $500... Might fix it. Might not. Might get more expensive??

Look, I'm a legal studies teacher, so a bit of law, a bit of child psychologist... Pet owner too....

Mate - Legally, you could spend $$$. Amateur child psychologist, let the kid cry, worse things will happen to the child. Let the kid learn grief. Grief happens and to undo grief is to deny things ending. Sounds like you should take vet's advice. You might be paying to get back a dog that will bite like pac-man.

And Womble - that might be the best answeer I've ever given.

Last edited:
Reactions: Womble2910