VIC Can Police Search My Stolen Car?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Cobra1972

3 June 2018
Sorry to hear that you have had bad experiences Clancy, but this is no reason to think ALL investigations / Police are the same.

sammy01

27 September 2015
They search the car... They find evidence... they can lay charges... So my wallet got stolen from my car... I live in the country, often leave the keys in the car.. I know, I know... But anyways. The neighbours car got stolen on the same day... Cops did the whole dusting for fingerprints thing... Left white powder everywhere.... So - they tell me IF they find a print, and that print is on file they have got enough to charge the punter when they next bump into this petty crook... But If I don't agree for them to look for prints, they've got nothing...
Sure they are under-resourced..
So what would you rather they do? Not search the car? So effectivley just refuse to do any investigations into any crime?
sounds silly to me.

Reactions: Cobra1972

Clancy

6 April 2016
Police have a job to do. If they locate a stolen vehicle then they are obliged to at least commence to carry out an investigation for the offence of UUMV. That's because usually they wouldn't know the vehicle was stolen unless it had been reported as such, so thereby, they have to act on that complaint. If they locate a stolen vehicle and it hasn't been reported stolen then they will normally try to contact the registered owner, who, I have no doubt would be asked by the police to sign a request that no further investigation be made into the matter, if the owner didn't want the police making further investigations to try to find the offender. What Cobra is saying is quite correct. Police make investigations and based on those investigations they make a decision whether there is sufficient evidence to continue further with the investigation on the strength of the evidence they have. If there is insufficient evidence to continue to search for the offender then the matter is not closed it is simply left open as there may be further developments in the future. If an owner was foolish enough to insist on no further investigation of the matter by police then you can rest assured he wouldn't have a leg to stand on if he made an insurance claim (and who knows what unseen mechanical damage could have been caused). Unfortunately, by the simple fact that we live in society and execute our rights to walk, talk and otherwise interact with others in society we give tacit consent to police to investigate offences as it is in the public interest for them to do so, and that's their job whether some of us like it or not.

I dont now what country that happens in? Not the country i am in! Although, the things that happened to me is going back 20 odd years, mebe the first response of police is no longer simply to try to convince you to go away?

Oneman

7 September 2017
Clancy, you and I have disagreed on this forum previously and I simply walked away as I realised that you have a problem. I now understand your problem. You must live in a cave and have no interaction with other people since your last interaction with The Police gave you a giant chip that you appear to be unable to remove from your shoulder. As previously, I wont be baited by your stupid slant on the world. And as before, I wont be replying to anymore of your ridiculous posts. You need to walk away from your PC and talk with some real people!

Clancy

6 April 2016
Clancy, you and I have disagreed on this forum previously and I simply walked away as I realised that you have a problem. I now understand your problem. You must live in a cave and have no interaction with other people since your last interaction with The Police gave you a giant chip that you appear to be unable to remove from your shoulder. As previously, I wont be baited by your stupid slant on the world. And as before, I wont be replying to anymore of your ridiculous posts. You need to walk away from your PC and talk with some real people!

Well here is one for you clever boy.... my father was a water policeman! And he went through all the s**t, being told he is not fining enough people, go fine more people weather they deserve it or not!.... My complaints are not just against the police but the puppet masters controlling them. Also I am conscious of the good work police do, except me personally, i have never seen it. my encounters with police have always been about them disappointing me, and i have to be true to my own personal experience.

Oneman

7 September 2017
Clancy, I feel sorry for you. You really do have a problem. Do you realise that your Father wasn't the only person in this world to be a Police Officer. Read into that what you may. As I said, I wont be replying to your silly baiting any more. Get some help before you end up hurting yourself. Oh, and I would suggest you stop giving people on this forum silly, unqualified advice. Have a good life and don't waste your time replying. Cheers

Clancy

6 April 2016
Clancy, I feel sorry for you. You really do have a problem. Do you realise that your Father wasn't the only person in this world to be a Police Officer. Read into that what you may. As I said, I wont be replying to your silly baiting any more. Get some help before you end up hurting yourself. Oh, and I would suggest you stop giving people on this forum silly, unqualified advice. Have a good life and don't waste your time replying. Cheers

Thank you for the example of an over assuming, opinionated, personally insulting and unqualified post so people know exactly what not to do on this forum.

Cobra1972

3 June 2018
It is unfortunate that people always look to the old 'Revenue Raising' argument. It is particularly upsetting to those Police that go to work every day to serve.

For example, those detectives that investigate the Sexual Abuse of Children. They go to work every day and see the most evil, disgusting things. Why? Well to protect the public. How about we focus on that and not a monetary fine a Highway / Traffic officer may give someone, for doing the wrong thing in the first place!!

Such a shame