NSW Can I sue/claim over security cameras not working?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Gilles

4 July 2017
Hi,

Several weeks ago my bicycle got stolen within the car park of the new building I live in. I reported it to the Police and the company who installed the cameras said to them they didn't see anything. I don't believe in that. I suppose the cameras weren't working/ not set up yet as it is a new building. It got stolen around 2 months after settlement day. So my question is, am I able to get the company to get me a new bike?

Any advice would be welcome.

Thank you.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Unlikely.

Even if the security company had footage the chances of recovering your bike based solely on the footage are not likely to increase by a large amount.

Has anyone given you any guarantees as to the security of your property?

Reactions: Gilles

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Regardless of the above, the installers/ operators of the security cameras
would have some sort of "all care but no responsibility" clause in their contract
with the Owners Corporation/ Body Corporate.

Further, it is almost certain that the camera guys do not have a contractual relationship with you personally
of the kind that would give rise to a duty to you that was actionable if breached.

Further, security of your personal property is your own responsibility.

Or in other words, no, I don't see how you can get anyone else to buy you a replacement bike.

Reactions: Gilles

Gilles

4 July 2017
Thank you very much for your answers. Really appreciate it. I will read again the contract.

I guess my question is just a desperate act to get the bike I bought back. :)