VIC Can I Get Compensation for Monthly Payments of Car?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Max W

27 November 2015
I have a question regarding my rights related to a car lease.

I obtained a new car via a commercial lease agreement. 3 months in, the car broke down and required a new engine - The car was taken by the manufacturer for 6 months and I was given a courtesy car (not the same type that I had purchased) and I continued making all of my monthly payments during this time.

It has now come to the end of the lease and I am handing the vehicle back. Surely, shouldn't I receive some reimbursement or compensation given that I was more or less without the vehicle for 6 months and still made payments?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Louise4007

8 November 2015
SA
It depends largely on the specific or implied terms within the contract for lease of the car as to whom would bear responsibility for repairs.

If you signed a lease agreement which says the company would bear no responsibility for repairs to the vehicle during its' lease to you then it stands that you accepted that term & consequently you would not be entitled to any reimbursement of expenses incurred.

If on the other hand the contract states somewhere that the company will repair in certain circumstances only, then that also is agreed to in the contract by both parties when each signs & should be taken up with the company at the time repairs are required or in accordance with the written terms of the contract.

Also consider insurance to the vehicle during the lease period & whose responsibility it was to meet payments of & exactly what insurance covered if it was required during the lease period.