QLD Can I get Charged for being a Paedophile?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

James009

1 July 2017
I'm 21 (male) and i said to this girl, not knowing the age, that she was beautiful. when i found out her age i then asked this 15 year old (girl) to go out on jog or coffee and she said no. I then gave her my no. if she changes her mind. That was the entire conversation. That was all on messenger. Now the mum has found out and said she has blocked me and screenshot the conversation and is going to the police. What should I do?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Nothing. No images were swapped, no physical contact contact took place, no suggestion of an anything illegal was made.

BUT be very careful. It doesn't take much to turn something like this into a serious criminal offence.

What you said to the girl was improper, and borderline not illegal. Get a woman copper who has been abused in her past and you could see the situation turn nasty.

Do not talk to police unless you seek prior legal advice.

sammy01

27 September 2015
ok - lesson learnt. You are 21 - leave girls under the age of 18 alone... simple
When you said you gave her your number... Was that on a piece of paper? or via text?

Look there is a potential for this to be considered grooming. If you get called to the cops, be careful. I would refuse to make a statement

willow

4 April 2015
Best of luck James, good on you for seeking help here and it’s a good lesson to maybe ask older girls out. You’re not a pedo so don’t worry.
I'm 21 (male) and i said to this girl, not knowing the age, that she was beautiful. when i found out her age i then asked this 15 year old (girl) to go out on jog or coffee and she said no. I then gave her my no. if she changes her mind. That was the entire conversation. That was all on messenger. Now the mum has found out and said she has blocked me and screenshot the conversation and is going to the police. What should I do?