QLD Girl on Facebook Trying to Sabotage My Relationship - Sue for Defamation?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

sweric

14 March 2016
Hi, a

A girl I used to work with ages ago has a bet with someone that I probably know. The bet was that she would try to make me cheat on my girlfriend by sending me a Facebook friend request, which I ignored. She then messaged me for the last 10 months. I said from the start I had a girlfriend and ignored all requests to hook up from her.

As she kept asking me when my colleagues and I were going to go out. I told to her the places to be on certain days as I am nice like that. Yet I haven't gone to any of those nights out and had no intention to. I told her I would not be there. Up until she told me the truth about the bet, I stayed nice to her and accepted the bet, as I had said or done nothing wrong. Then she decided to send a screenshot of our messages to my girlfriend (who she's never met) via Facebook Messenger and told her she was with a "d**k" (me).

Can I sue her on grounds of defamation for trying to break up my relationship just for a bet?

PS: She pretends she has a degree in Law.

Thank you

S

Sophea

Unless you can establish either defamation or grounds for harassment sufficient to constitute stalking you don't have grounds to take legal action against her for "breaking up your relationship" per se.

If your correspondences with this random girl are as they say, and girlfriend knows you, surely she will see the situation for what it is and stand by you on this.

Reactions: sweric

sweric

14 March 2016
Hello Sophea, thank you for your reply.

Like I said, my messages had nothing inappropriate to do anything with her. And, yes, she is standing by me. Now the chat saga is going to be between the 2 girls, and the latest from her were: "What can I say. When you look like me, you can play. And men cheat all the time. I was doing you a favour but you're obviously stupid too. I know he would f**k me, not met a man that won't ;)"

I just want to sue her to teach her a lesson. You don't do that to people, even more people you don't know.

She cannot see my friends list as a public profile (since I never accepted her friend request) and I never told her her name so she would have had to get it from a mutual friend (probably the other betting mole) to get in contact with her.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Our justice system is already overburdened, can you imagine how much legal fees would skyearocket if every John Doe "just wanted to sue her to teach her a lesson"?

What you have is a personal issue, not a legal issue. Have you considered just acting like an adult and blocking her?

sweric

14 March 2016
I can surely do that and block her, but then she can just go and do that to others. It's obviously a game to her. She obviously didn't get a proper education on the difference between wrong and right.

When someone does something wrong they should pay the price. If John Doe steals or hurts someone, it's wrong, right? And the proper action is to take them to court. Right?

That person has done wrong and is now attacking and insulting my girlfriend. I want that person to take responsibility. She is an adult, and she is hurting other people for no apparent reason.

It may be a personal issue but I want to make it a legal issue. And since John Doe (the victim) can't go hitting someone for personal or any reasons anymore unless he wants to become the perpetrator and then get sued for trying to solve his personal issue, then you either close your eyes and let it go and have someone else become the victim, or you do something about it, and these days you go to court.

It's called doing the right thing.

Anyone out there with a personal legal issue problem solving solution in regards to this matter?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
As both Sophea and myself have said, this isn't a legal issue. This is a domestic dispute, something the court refuses to determine except in very specific matters. This isn't one of them.

Chris Gander

9 July 2015
New South Wales
Before you even think about going to Court, contact a law firm and have a brief discussion with a defamation lawyer about your situation and get some advice about how to proceed. After you've discussed your situation, if it has been determined that defamation has actually occurred, and you have a matter that is worth proceeding with, the most likely next step would be to send this woman a 'cease and desist' letter... which would most likely instruct her to cease contact with your girlfriend and potentially admit that what she has been saying and accusing you of is false. Following these steps won't require a significant investment, but going to Court will.