VIC Can I Dispute Red Light Camera Fine?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Geevo

18 October 2016
Hi,

I have received a red light camera traffic infringement notice. I was aware of the day/circumstances and have been online to view the photos to clearly see where the car was positioned.

After a lot of research, I believe that the camera will be activated after a car crosses the line once the red light appears and the photo will show 2 pictures. The fine will also show the amount of time after red light.

It appears from research that the two photos are taken approximately 1 second apart?

My question is that both my photos have the exact same time? 1.2 seconds after red light first photo at 10.24.34 and second photo showing car approximately double he original car distance from first photo 10.24.34?

Can this red light camera fine be disputed?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Yes

Geevo

18 October 2016
Thanks for your reply Rod,

Would you suggest that I elect to go to court or ask for review stating the time difference?

I have noticed on other forums that red light photos show time format such as 10.24.34.05 but my pics only show the seconds.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
Depends how keen you are and whether you are doing this on principle. Much easier to pay the fine.

Hard to say which is the better option - pay fine, ask for review, or go to court.

If you elect to take it to court you'll see what evidence they have against you and it may be different to what you have already received.
If you ask for a review and they notice a mistake, they may fix the mistake and then reissue the fine.

Not knowing the real situation (ie is camera faulty, is the photo just lacking detail, etc) can't help you decide.

Geevo

18 October 2016
Again thank you Rod for the help.

It is definitely on principle, I have attached photos for your reference.

Being very aware of the situation on the day is why I am disputing the fine. Unfortunately they don't show the car prior and without going and getting very expensive advise on distance versus speed versus location etc I can only challenge the time discrepancy.

It is my belief that a red light will activate after 3 seconds of amber (50km zone) and the fine claims 1.2 seconds had elapsed after the red being a total of 4.2 seconds. In the photo, it is clear that both turn and straight traffic received the green light at the same time. All vehicles in the straight through lane have only just crossed the total intersection as I have entered. Also the van first in the turn traffic lane stopped mid way through the intersection causing the vehicle in front of me and myself to come to nearly a complete stop.

Is there any way of finding out the light sequence timing from the day?

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
Is there any way of finding out the light sequence timing from the day?

I have no idea. Call VicRoads and see what they say.

Jermy

30 March 2015
Red light is considered a serious offense and it is not taken lightly. If you are going to dispute there's some thing faulty with the camera, for example, you need to prove that statement and not just state it in court. If you are not sure 1000% that you are on the right, don't risk it by disputing it in court. The best thing that can happen is you pay the fine only, but the judge can increase the fine amount and also will order you to pay the court fees.

I am in NSW, and recently I disputed a red light infringement (red light camera) but I was sure that I would get off due to the rainy weather condition and I did not crossed the road. I just passed the traffic lights and came to a full stop.

I have seen others before my turn came, and none of the red light fines and speeding fines were let go, some where decreased in value but kept the points if the person had special or hard circumstances, but was not let go.

I hope that helps.

Ponala

10 February 2015
The time on both photos is the time when the red light was 'ran', and not the time the photos was taken, so that is why it appears on both photos as the same time. The 2nd photo is to show if the vehicle kept moving or was stationary.