QLD Can a spouse be written out of a will?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Oneman

7 September 2017
Hi All,
This question may have been asked before but I couldn't see anything like it in the search I made, so.
If I marry, my wife inherits my house upon my passing automatically. I think that's how it works, but.
Can I write a will in such a way that, if she is not a 'joint tenant' on the Title Deed and didn't contribute one cent into the construction of the house, I can leave the house to her for the rest of her life so she can have use of it until she passes whereupon the house can then be passed on to my children for them to use or sell as they see fit. I'm currently in my sixties and the lady I'm thinking of marrying is in her fifties.
I'm just trying to be fair to everyone, if that's possible.
Thanks.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Your wife doesn’t automatically inherit your house.

As for your question: Yes you can, by what is called a life tenancy. There are various ways you can structure It depending on what you want. Doing it properly is not DIY - see a solicitor.

Oneman

7 September 2017
Your wife doesn’t automatically inherit your house.

As for your question: Yes you can, by what is called a life tenancy. There are various ways you can structure It depending on what you want. Doing it properly is not DIY - see a solicitor.
Thank you Rob.
Exactly the advice I wanted.
Cheers