QLD Step children share in property?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Happy88

2 September 2018
My parents and my husband and I are thinking about selling our houses and buying a large property together with separate dwellings that my parents can live in for 6 months of the year when they're not travelling as grey nomads.

But we're curious about the following:

My dad inherited his family home at 18 after his parents passed a few years earlier. My mum was previously married prior to my dad with 1 child. They divorced and the child continued to live with the father in their family home they later inherited.

A few years later my parents met, married and had me. My dad has provided for my mum for all these years and she has never had to work to contribute to a mortgage etc. The house was already his.

She has been estranged from her child from previous marriage for almost 20 years by her child's doing.

So my question is, if we bought a property with my parents with a contribution 60% us, 40% them , upon their death can this child have any entitlement to my mum's share in the property? My husband and I probably wouldn't be in a position to buy them out...

Last edited:

Simon123!

8 April 2020
I am not a lawyer, but am in a similar situation. I think one option would be to ensure the title is noted as joint tenants and not tenants in common. This way title only goes to surviving members and does not form part of the estate..... I could be wrong on this though.

Reactions: Happy88