NSW Breach of Credit Card Contract by Woolworths?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

dalnmelb

20 March 2015
Hi, I am currently in dispute with Macquarie Bank (Woolworths credit card) as I believe that they are in breach of our contract. I have a credit card with them but they have done several things that made me complain:

They withdrew $635.77 from a savings account without my knowledge a week before Christmas,

They did not update my name and address on their system for over 12 months even though I sent through my marriage certificate and emailed and called them several times to do so.

They did not send me statements.

They deleted emails I sent to contact them without even reading them.

I am dealing with them through FOS (Financial Ombudsman Service) at the moment and the bank has agreed to refund back the $635.77 but something tells me that they are in breach of contract?

Ivy

10 February 2015
Hi there,

To check if Macquarie Bank/ Woolworths made a contractual agreement with you that they have broken, you can read through the contractual documentation that was sent to you with your credit card.

I can understand your frustration at the bank's conduct however I am not sure what your legal concern is here exactly now that the bank will be refunding the money:
1. They took a long time to update your details. Has that caused issues for your aside from the obvious frustration and annoyance?
2. Regarding the bank statements: Have you been provided with the bank statements now? Is the issue that they weren't mailed to you (ie you could see them online but didn't have a hard copy) or that you didn't/ don't have them at all? If you still don't have any statements in any form, then this is an issue.
3. How do you know they deleted emails without reading them?