Bought faulty car - with warranty

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

munrowd

7 July 2020
Hi there - I purchased a second hand car in late 2019 for $13k. I bought a warranty on top for $2.5k.

Within a week of owning the car, the engine light came on. I took it back to the dealer that I bought the car from and he 'did his thing' and said that he could not find a fault. I was sceptical but trusted him.

Over the upcoming months, the engine light would come on and go off every so often. Believing the dealer, I thought nothing more of it (he is also 45 mins away from me, so taking the car back is a hassle).

I came to my first regular service, after driving it for around 6,000km and they have diagnosed the following problems with the car:
  • Front brake pads and rotors $690.00
  • Coolant flush $192.00
  • Glow plugs $530.00
  • Glow plug controller $552.00
  • Inlet manifold $2995.00
So I'm being asked for ~ $5k on a car I bought 6 months ago for $13k. The fault with the engine is linked to the glow plugs / inlet manifold (so $4k). The warranty company have come back and said they will cover the glow plug controller ($552) but nothing else.

The mechanic who did the service said that there is "no way" that the dealer would not have known about the issues, if he did the proper checks when I took it back after the engine light came on (within a week of owning the car).

What do you think are my options here?

Thank you

Will