QLD Blackmail and possible harassment?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

S@$ha

23 September 2019
Hi there,

My partner’s ex contacted me over the weekend and has threatened to send a letter to the HR department at his work and get him fired if we don’t pay her $3000. She is also threatening to get him deported. I blocked her on Facebook however she has started messaging me from a friends account.

Is there any legal action we can take against her? If we go to the police, is there anything they can do to help us?

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
For things like this you need to know "who", "what", "where", "how" and "why".
You've pretty much explained the first four, but not the "why". So from a criminal law perspective, the obvious question is "what is the reasoning behind the demand?"

If she believes that she has a legal claim to the money, then you would probably only be able to take action in regard to the threats.

But if she's just demanding money without any reasonable belief that she's legally entitled to it, then the way she has made the demand (with threats) would likely constitute extortion.

In either case, you can report the conduct to the Police. There could be other offences that are applicable as well.

Ref: Sections 359 (Threats) and 415 (Extortion) of the QLD Criminal Code.