Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

NSW Best Parenting Plan for When Ex Leaves the Country?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by Trying2bfair, 27 May 2016.

  1. Trying2bfair

    Trying2bfair Well-Known Member

    19 February 2016
    Likes Received:
    Unfortunately I'm back!

    I'm again trying to come up with a parenting plan for our child, and I'm unsure on what happens when the ex relocates back to his country of origin.

    I don't want to disclose too much info but it's about a 4hr flight from Sydney, no idea if he will ever be moving back to Australia and no time frame to work with of when he leaves!

    We are having a really hard time communicating, and he just won't tell me anything! My concerns are if I increase time with our child before he leaves, is that fair on the child? Or should I give him more time because he is leaving? He doesn't take all his time now but seems to think if I gave him more time, he would take it (I don't understand that logic either).

    Then what would the arrangement be this situation? What is a standard family court arrangement? Is there one when the other parent lives in another country?

    Ex currently sees our child for 1.5 hours to just over 2 hours a week. He can have the child for up to 5 hours if he chooses. He never does.

    Can anyone help?

    Thanks in advance!
  2. sammy01

    sammy01 Well-Known Member

    27 September 2015
    Likes Received:
    Do you have court orders? Do you have concerns that if you let the kid travel to the other country the kid would not be returned?

    My thought - let the parent spend as much time as they request with the child and insist that if the parent wants contact in their home country, then they have to get consent orders sorted to reflect that. I reckon it fair for the kid to spend a few weeks OS a year depending on age. Of course, the other parent pays for flights etc...

Share This Page