WA Australian Law - Can Advice Files Be Shared After Legal Advice is Complete?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Joanee

25 August 2016
My partner has received legal advice, has paid his solicitor in full and is now in possession of all of his legal files. My partner is no longer represented.

There is voluminous information on the Internet about the confidential requirements of a lawyer to the client during and after representation. However, I want to understand if the privilege works in reverse. The representation has ceased, and my partner would like to share these files with some people associated with parties my partner was adverse to.

Under Australian Law, does he have the right to share the files, which contain direct communications from the adverse parties to my partner's lawyer, as well as statements from my partner about third parties who had a significant impact on the adversarial situation?

S

Sophea

Yes the "client" can do what they want with their legal advices, etc. received from a lawyer, however it is not always advantageous. Provided however that the matter is definitely finished and there is absolutely no prospect of it re-emerging later down the track, then your partner is at liberty to share what he wants. Solicitor's owe strict confidentiality obligations to clients however which requires them never to disclose client file information.