LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

VIC Can I Look Up Australian Law Legal Cases Online?

Discussion in 'Other/General Law Forum' started by Mara, 26 February 2015.

1. Mara

Mara Member

Hey there,
    I need to find out if I got sued from a company in Victoria (I'm overseas and they don't have my address, therefore I wouldn't know it from them and I don't want to contact them...).

It would be definitely a civil legal matter/case and I was wondering if I can look up Australian Law civil cases hold under my name online or if I would need a lawyer to do this (or even someone completely different?).

How can I find out? Cheers for any good advice!

2. Michael T

Michael T Well-Known Member

Hi Mara,
    Even if they didn't have your address, they would need to contact your to serve you with court papers. I imagine they'd have you email? So they would have emailed you at least.

If you think you may have been correctly served but have misplaced the documents/missed the documents, then you can check with the relevant court registry, depending on the monetary value in dispute:

3. Mara

Mara Member

Hi Michael,

Thank you for the reply!! Yes, the company which may sues me has my e-mail. They did send me one notice of payment and one notice that they're handing the case over to their legal team. Since then (one and a half years ago!) I never heard from them or any court again. But as they don't have my address, I want to find out myself, if they sued me - those websites you recommended are quite tricky... where do I look my name up exactly?
    Thanks for the advice!