Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

VIC Can I Look Up Australian Law Legal Cases Online?

Discussion in 'Other/General Law Forum' started by Mara, 26 February 2015.

1. Mara

Mara Member

Hey there,
    I need to find out if I got sued from a company in Victoria (I'm overseas and they don't have my address, therefore I wouldn't know it from them and I don't want to contact them...).

It would be definitely a civil legal matter/case and I was wondering if I can look up Australian Law civil cases hold under my name online or if I would need a lawyer to do this (or even someone completely different?).

How can I find out? Cheers for any good advice!

2. Michael T

Michael T Well-Known Member

Hi Mara,
    Even if they didn't have your address, they would need to contact your to serve you with court papers. I imagine they'd have you email? So they would have emailed you at least.

If you think you may have been correctly served but have misplaced the documents/missed the documents, then you can check with the relevant court registry, depending on the monetary value in dispute:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Mara

Mara Member

Hi Michael,

Thank you for the reply!! Yes, the company which may sues me has my e-mail. They did send me one notice of payment and one notice that they're handing the case over to their legal team. Since then (one and a half years ago!) I never heard from them or any court again. But as they don't have my address, I want to find out myself, if they sued me - those websites you recommended are quite tricky... where do I look my name up exactly?
    Thanks for the advice!