VIC Can I Look Up Australian Law Legal Cases Online?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Mara

24 February 2015
Hey there,
I need to find out if I got sued from a company in Victoria (I'm overseas and they don't have my address, therefore I wouldn't know it from them and I don't want to contact them...).

It would be definitely a civil legal matter/case and I was wondering if I can look up Australian Law civil cases hold under my name online or if I would need a lawyer to do this (or even someone completely different?).

How can I find out? Cheers for any good advice!

Michael T

9 April 2014
Hi Mara,
Even if they didn't have your address, they would need to contact your to serve you with court papers. I imagine they'd have you email? So they would have emailed you at least.

If you think you may have been correctly served but have misplaced the documents/missed the documents, then you can check with the relevant court registry, depending on the monetary value in dispute:

Mara

24 February 2015
Hi Michael,

Thank you for the reply!! Yes, the company which may sues me has my e-mail. They did send me one notice of payment and one notice that they're handing the case over to their legal team. Since then (one and a half years ago!) I never heard from them or any court again. But as they don't have my address, I want to find out myself, if they sued me - those websites you recommended are quite tricky... where do I look my name up exactly?
Thanks for the advice!