VIC Australian Consumer Law - Required to Pay Course Full Fee?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now


3 August 2015
I had enroled for a course in IT, it didn't have any criteria and invited students from all backgrounds. During first week itself I found it difficult and told them I needed to quit, but they persuaded me that it's the nature of the course and everything will be alright in weeks. Now I'm in the 5th week and still don't understand the things being taught. I told them I'm quitting no matter what.

The total duration of the course is 12 weeks and the duration I attended is 5 weeks. I had paid $2800 of $11500 and they told need I to pay the rest even if I quit. They got me to sign a digital signature stating that withdrawal within 1 week will account for 25% of the total fee and after that liable for full fees.

I was told it was normal and I waited till week 5 to get the things that they are teaching. I could only get only 20% of what they were teaching. There are 7 guys in the batch and it seems I'm the only one having the issue.

They have arranged a meeting tomorrow but I don't want to continue.

Can I get my money back legally under Australian Consumer Law or stop paying them further?

Tracy B

Well-Known Member
24 December 2014
Hi Pipson,

It may be unreasonable to ask for a full refund, however, you may be able to get part of the remaining course fee waived. This will depend on whether they have breached any ACL protections (e.g. misleading and deceptive conduct, misleading advertising). From what you have outlined though, there does not appear to be any explicitly breaches of the ACL.

First, have you written to the course suppliers and asked if they could waive the remaining fees when you drop out? You may have to pay a penalty fee.

If you cannot resolve it with the supplier yourself, have you contacted Consumer Affairs Victoria? They are the office in Victoria responsible for overseeing and enforcing the ACL. They are a free service and should be able to provide you with more information. Additionally, you can try containing the Department of Education for more information.