Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

VIC Australian Institute of Fitness - Cancelling Contract?

Discussion in 'Australian Consumer Law Forum' started by HayleyDePledge, 14 April 2015.

1. HayleyDePledge

HayleyDePledge Active Member

I signed up to do a master training course online with the Australian Institute of Fitness. I paid a $500 deposit and was told that i would be automatically debited around $138every 2 weeks under my payment plan since I couldn't afford to pay in full upfront. I agreed, however was not verbally told that I wouldn't be able to cancel the course at any time, and was under the assumption that I would be able too. Less then 10 days after the 12 month course has started, I decided I would not be able to afford the course and rang up and emailed various times requesting to cancel. I was eventually told I wouldn't be able to cancel the payments since I was out of the 10 day "cooling off period" that I supposedly signed and agreed too however was never verbally told at my orientation. I would really like to know how I could possibly get them to cancel the course, as it doesn't seem right them taking money out of my account every 2 weeks for a year, when I have requested to cancel the course that I never even started. I would really love to know any infringements at play here in the Australian consumer law and get them to cancel my course without further payments immediately. Thank's a lot.

2. Tracy B

Tracy B Well-Known Member

Hi Hayley,

It seems you have already found this thread: "Australian Institute of Fitness - Cancellation Fee Under Course Enrolment Contract"

There are a few avenues you could try contacting:
    The Department of Education might be able to advise you when it is appropriate to charge someone for the full price of a course. I believe charging the whole year's fees is unreasonable here. Generally, educational programs give students a few weeks into the course to cancel courses and have a two-tier penalty system.

Sophea likes this.