VIC Failed to Attend Course - Australian Consumer Law Rights?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Andy B

3 March 2017
Last October, I paid in full for a weekend woodworking course via the company website. I didn't receive an email or receipt or any type of contact, but as the course was not until the end of January, I assumed I would be contacted nearer the time. However, I forgot all about it and never heard from the company.

When I finally remembered this week and called them up, they said they did receive my payment, and has sent me both an acknowledgement at the time via email, and a further email ten days before the course was scheduled. I explained that I had received neither emails. Nothing in the junk folder either. They had marked me down as absent and left it at that.

To confirm the email, I had them send one during the phone call, and it arrived in my in box immediately. They couldn't explain why I didn't receive the others and that everything at their end was perfectly correct.

Since they would not give me a "free" course on an alternative date, I suggested they refund me half what I paid, as I acknowledge that I failed to record the original course dates in my diary and missed the chance to contact them beforehand. However, I maintain that I put the date out of my mind because I booked three months in advance and assumed they would contact me, either by email or phone.

What are my Australian Consumer Law rights here?

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Andy,

This is a tough one because at the end of the day it sounds like they actually did offer the course but you didn't go. You could try a letter of demand either asking for a refund or a rescheduled course, citing lack of communication as the reason for your failure to attend.

I'm just not sure how successful this would be beyond this through small claims court to try and recoup your money.

Reactions: Sophea

Andy B

3 March 2017
Hi Andy,
This is a tough one because at the end of the day it sounds like they actually did offer the course but you didn't go. You could try a letter of demand either asking for a refund or a rescheduled course, citing lack of communication as the reason for your failure to attend. I'm just not sure how successful this would be beyond this through small claims court to try and recoup your money.
Thanks, Lance

I'm hoping we can reach some compromise before it comes to that. Thanks for your thoughts.