QLD Australian Consumer Law - Refund for Car Bought Only Two Years Ago

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Cupcake72

25 November 2015
Hello.

I purchased a used vehicle, a 2011 Subaru Outback, from a very reputable car dealer on 31st January 2013. The car was originally sold by the same dealer and then traded in. The car has only ever been serviced by the service department of the car dealer. The car was only just 3 years old when I purchased it in January 2013. The new car warranty had only just expired.

Whilst driving the car in April 2013, it suddenly went into limp home mode. The service department could not find fault with the car and told me to come and take it. While driving home from the dealers, the car again went into limp home mode. The car was returned to the dealer and after days of diagnostics, they established that the Crank angle sensor needed replacing. They advised that this was extremely rare and that they would have to order the part from Japan and the car would be off the road for at least 2 weeks.

Just under twelve months later, the same problem happened and they again replaced the Crank Angle Sensor and the Cam Angle Sensor. The second Crank Angle Sensor was replaced under parts warranty, but I had to pay for the Cam Angle Sensor.

In July 2015, the car broke down again. This time, they said it was the computer and it would have to be replaced. I had to pay to have the computer replaced. The car was again off the road for roughly a week. In October 2015, the car broke down AGAIN. The service department is now saying that the high-pressure fuel pump needs to be replaced. The injectors also need to be replaced and the repair bill has been quoted as $17.5k.

I purchased the car with finance and still owe roughly 20k and do not have the money to repair the car. Given that the car was only purchased less than 2 years ago and has had so many breakdowns I would think that the car should be replaced or refunded.

Interested in everyone's thoughts on what I should do according to Australian Consumer Law and if I am covered by Consumer Guarantee.

Please help.

Cupcake72

25 November 2015
Just an amendment to my post.

I purchased the car January 2014. In March 2014, it broke down. Crank Angle Sensor was replaced. In April 2015 .It broke down again with no error codes. June 2015, Replaced Crank Angle Sensor for the second time and also replaced the Cam Angle Sensor. The car had only done 30,000 kms during this time. In July 2015, the ECU (Computer) was replaced. October 2015, High Pressure Fuel Pump needs to be replaced. I have owned the car less than 2 years and have only done 50,000kms. The car all up has only done about 160,000kms.

The dealership is accepting no responsibility for selling me a lemon and are claiming that they had no way of knowing that the High pressure fuel pump was going to go. They seem to be forgetting about all the other things that have been replaced. I do not believe that