VIC Australian Consumer Law - How to Deal with Dodgy Gardeners?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Doug Newnham

18 April 2016
Our gardeners suggested a short-term alternative to our preferred option of an asphalt driveway surface. We agreed to go along with their suggestion as it would delay the large outlay of an asphalt driveway by around 4 - 5 years (when our children would start to leave secondary school) and would solve our immediate issue of an uneven driveway that was becoming harder to drive over.

The driveway was done by the gardeners while we were away for the weekend, but upon our return we were immediately concerned that it would wash away as it was very loose: it was sandy material on a rock base, which had been compressed or "whacked".

Within a few weeks, the spring rain began to wash the surface away. The gardeners blamed the amount of rain that had fallen the week following it being laid, claiming it meant that the driveway hadn't been given the chance to dry out properly, but assured us that once it did, it would "harden like concrete".

The gardeners returned after two weeks of hot, dry weather. They re-did the damaged parts of the surface by bringing in more of the same sandy material. We paid them to cover the cost of this. However, they did not compress this re-laid material this time - Just raked it over. They left no advice for ongoing care, so I texted them challenging them on their logic of simply laying more sand over the driveway and not even "whacking" it down, given that the "whacked" material didn't withstand the rain the first time so why would "unwhacked" material be OK?

Once again, they assured me that with the dry weather it would harden and suggested I get our kids to walk over the driveway to compress it. We have a very large driveway, so this suggestion was ridiculous. I expressed that to the gardeners: they agreed to come back with the "whacker" in two weeks' time (all dry, hot weather).

The day before they were due with the "whacker", we had a huge storm front come through, and as before, the rain washed the driveway away again. The gardeners' response was that they were out of suggestions: they couldn't afford to fix the driveway. They said they would raise an invoice of $3,000 so we could go through our insurance company, so they could come back and fix it up.

We guess the best the insurance company would pay would be to restore the driveway to what it was, which would probably be $600-$1,000, not the reconstruction of a new fit for purpose driveway. Also, this smells a lot like insurance fraud, so we're not comfortable following this advice.

We want to put the right kind of driveway in (and are prepared to put more money in to pay for more suitable materials); we do not want to defraud our insurance company so we can pay these gardeners to fix their mistake. We want to see some sort of responsibility borne by the gardeners as their advice to use this material was clearly not fit for purpose; we want to warn other potential customers that these gardeners' attitude and advice are not to be trusted.

Can anyone suggest the best possible course in Australian Consumer Law to achieve as much of these goals as possible?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
The difficulty I have is why you expected a sand driveway to be the equivalent of concrete when it rained. For hardness possibly, not durability.

I think you got what you paid for.

Doug Newnham

18 April 2016
Really? We paid for something that was going to last "5 years" that lasted 2 weeks before degrading. This was a $6000 project by a business purporting to be a landscaper. Just how did we 'get what we paid for'?

And to clarify - they proposed a "material that would last five years". We didn't choose 'sand'; it was a landscaping material they said that they've used in previous projects.

We had obviously not seen this material before - we were having a project conducted by personnel apparently experienced with both the material and application.

I am not clueless and do not expect sand to do the job of concrete. We trusted 'experienced' professionals to give us a job as quoted.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
was going to last "5 years"

Is this in writing anywhere? Or maybe conditional? Is the driveway under cover? At face value their statement is 100% correct. The material has lasted, it just may not be in the location you want any more.

A general statement like 'it should last 5 years' may be considered sales puff.

The sand driveway did not degrade - it was washed away in heavy rain according to you. If the sand turned into powder and blew away in a light breeze you would have case.

We had obviously not seen this material before

Never seen sand? Have you been a high-rise apartment dweller all your life? Never taken kids to the beach?

I'm a believer in personal responsibility and I also expect other people to take responsibility for their own decisions, good or bad, and to me this seems like you made a bad decision and you want someone else to be responsible for it. This doesn't sit well with my beliefs, as you can probably tell.