NSW Broken stormwater pipes next door , water seeping into my property , neighbour will not fix

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

klm

30 April 2022
My adjoining neighbour, whose property sits slightly higher than mine, has an old terracotta stormwater pipe collecting water from their roof that has multiple cracks and leaks in it. This runs along and close to our common boundary under a concrete path on their side. There is a brick boundary wall between us. They are aware it is broken, and are refusing to fix it , because they say it doesn't affect them and there is no surface flooding. The extra leaked water water causes the ground on my side to become supersaturated very quickly on my side and in heavy rain comes to the surface in the garden and on my paving and takes ages to drain away. The problem has become worse since they built a pergola under Complying Development and attached the downpipes from this into their system, which was already broken.

My 60 year old house sits on a concrete slab on the ground.

Last year I made a claim on my insurance as my carpet became wet. It was found that the slab had become wet from underneath and my waterproofing had failed. After much negotiation, insurance covered the cost of waterproofing my slab on the inside of the house and replacing the carpet. They will now not insure me for further damage caused by the same leaking pipes until they are fixed by a licensed plumber.

I have been in contact with my local council ( Ku-Ring-Gai, NSW) about it. They approached my neighbour about fixing it but they refused, using the loophole that there was no "surface flow" of water between our properties, which is required by council according to their website to be able to enforce repairs. Surface flow in my case is physically impossible as the pipes are underground with a concrete path over them on my neighbours side, and there is the dividing wall between us . Council wanted to wash their hands of it at that stage , but eventually agreed to do a dye test on my neighbours downpipes. Unfortunately this was carried out on a very rainy day by an environmental officer in a shirt and tie who was not a plumber and who put the dye in the pipes and left me to see ( in the pouring rain) if I could see the dye on my side, which I couldn't. We had 90 mm that day! I have since learned dye testing should never be done during rain as it is impossible to trace the dye. Council were not interested in this information, even though the officer had told me he had never done a dye test before, and have refused to repeat the test when the ground has had a chance to dry out a bit. They have closed the matter from their side at this stage with a formal letter to me.

Council also said there is no law that says stormwater roof runoff from a Complying Development addition has to attach to a functioning existing stormwater system , but there you are. This is patently a ludicrous loophole.

I am incredulous that council will not direct my neighbour to fix her system. They use the excuse that the water flow is not on the surface, which to me is a huge cop out because they understand fully what is happening.

A water engineer on behalf of my insurer outlined the ( major ) work I would have to do on my side to redirect the flow of excess water from my neighbour but pointed out of course that the sensible and reasonable course of action is to repair the leaking pipes.

At this stage , I have offered to pay for repairs next door but have not heard back from my neighbour. I am interested in alternatives because this will be very expensive and our relationship has broken down so it is likely to be a very unpleasant and stressful experience.

I would be grateful for any suggestions. Thankyou.

Docupedia

7 October 2020
I’m going to assume that someone has snaked the drain with a camera to actually be certain that the pipe is leaking because, otherwise, you wouldn’t know.

If council is unwilling to help, you’ve got probably three broad options that I can see:
1. Take Council to task over their handling of it all. That’s difficult, and they’re likely to make you jump through hoops while denying responsibility. However, if it is as you say it would appear that Council is failing to ensure compliance as in every instance I’ve seen (but I’m not familiar with your Council in particular) the obligation is on the landowner to ensure all directed stormwater is conveyed to a lawful point of discharge - such as the gutter, stormwater grate, or a stormwater pit.

2. Try to go it alone and undertake a possibly costly and lengthy court battle, probably based on a combination of planning/development law and torts, to het your neighbour to fix it. That battle would probably end up dragging Council in, so you might be better going after 1 first if you’re contemplating this line.

3. Put in drainage. Defeatist? Sure. Also probably the cheapest, easiest, and quickest solution. Get a landscaper, or builder, or even a hydraulic engineer on board to plan out a solution. Tell them exactly what you’re facing. Without knowing much of the relevant facts, you might be looking at something like a swale drain - which you can pretty up a bit.

klm

30 April 2022
Thankyou very much for your reply.

Yes, the pipes were checked with a camera and both my neighbour and I were present when the plumber explained his findings.

You have given me renewed confidence to take council to task, despite them saying they will take no further action. My next step will be legal action I think , and I will certainly let them know.

Surely council is negligent given it is aware there is an ongoing leak from broken stormwater pipes next door that has already caused documented damage to my property and is likely to cause further ( uninsurable) damage in the future , and is not issuing a repair order to my neighbour ?
Thanks again

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
If you still get push back from the council ask a local property lawyer to send the council a letter.

Docupedia

7 October 2020
I’m surprised they needed to do a dye test (and poorly at that). I’d suggest sending them a copy of the plumber‘s report as an opening salvo.