NSW Australian Citizenship

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

KBRaj

19 May 2020
Hi All

We have received 190 Visa in Oct 2019. I was the primary applicant. We have done the initial entry during Nov 2019. Post that my husband landed
in NSW during Feb 2020. He continued to stay there. But we see there no interview calls due to COVID.

Question:
1) I have a very good job in India and well paid. I m planning to continue to stay in India for few more years. Can my husband apply for citizenship after staying there for 4 years?
2) Is it mandatory for me to be in Australia as I am the primary applicant?
3) If my husband can apply for citizenship, will myself and my kids will get citizenship by default?

If the situation gets better and my husband can find a job, we have planned to relocate. Otherwise, we want to see if there will be any impact
for PR/Citizenship if I stay back.

Thanks
KS

RGC123

29 July 2020
Hi all, I got my Australia PR in Jan2020 but i was here from 2018 and i did not left Australia for a single day but now I am planning to go back to India for 4 months and due to this pandemic if in any case i stuck there for bit longer period then when i will be eligible to apply for Australian citizenship? I got some help from the immigration consultant During my PR application. Do i need to go to them again for this situation and to apply my citizenship. My Husband is already eligible for citizenship so he should apply now or it will be easier if we apply together after some time.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
You should stay in Australia during the pandemic.
Even if you could get a flight, let alone a flight back,
going anywhere else - anywhere else - is madness.

If your husband is eligible, then he should apply for citizenship as soon as possible.
And when you become eligible, so should you.
There is no benefit in applying at the same time.

Reactions: RGC123