WA Australian Citizenship - Is It Automatic After Marrying Australian?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Gudguhrl

13 September 2014
I am an Australian permanent resident (PR) for the past one year and am married to my husband who recently became an Australian citizen.

Does my husband's new Australian citizenship automatically make me an Australian citizen because I'm already have Australian permanent residency, or do I still have to go for the Australian citizenship test?

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi @Gudguhrl,
  1. Despite your permanent resident status, foreign citizens that marry an Australian citizen do not have an automatic right to Australian citizenship. Please see the "Spouse or partner of an Australian citizen" page on the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website for further information.
  2. Because of this, you will still be required to apply for Australian citizenship. This application is generally made using Form 1300t (PDF) and includes the requirement to complete an Australian citizenship test.
Hope this helps! Please keep us updated with your progress.

Reactions: Tracy B

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
I also agree with @John R and @Tracy B.
You do not acquire citizenship by marrying a citizen.

Mitchell Kelly

8 February 2015
Once permanent residency is obtained, the following basic criteria are applicable for becoming an Australian citizen.

The applicant has:
  • Held an Australian visa for 4 years (any valid visa)
  • Been an Australian permanent resident for at least 1 year (of those 4 years)
  • Not been outside of Australia for more than 12 months (in those 4 years)
  • Not been outside of Australia for more than 90 days in the 12 months prior to lodging the citizenship application

Reactions: Tracy B and John R