NSW Australian Citizenship application from overseas

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Max Turner

29 June 2018
I applied for Australian Citizenship last year August 2018 from overseas and have been on work assignment in Asia. I have been back to Australia and have more trips planned this year to visit family.

Will they still assess my application while I am overseas? Do I physically need to be in Australia while the application is processing?

I do intend to be here for the test and ceremony if everything is approved along the way. I don't know how long I will be in Asia for this work assignment but I know I will be back.

Kon-ming Tsai

16 March 2019
I applied for Australian Citizenship last year August 2018 from overseas and have been on work assignment in Asia. I have been back to Australia and have more trips planned this year to visit family.

Will they still assess my application while I am overseas? Do I physically need to be in Australia while the application is processing?

I do intend to be here for the test and ceremony if everything is approved along the way. I don't know how long I will be in Asia for this work assignment but I know I will be back.

Hi Max

General residence requirement

i. 36 months out of 4 years – legally in Australia
ii. 9 months out of 12 months – as a PR at the time of application

As for prolonged absence, in Arsenova and Minister for Immigration and Border Protection (Citizenship) [2018] AATA 4382 (23 November 2018), an application for Australian citizenship was refused because the Department was not satisfied the applicant would likely to reside or would continue to reside in Australia.

www.denovolegal.com.au

NoahsBark

14 December 2019
I’m in the same boat. I just applied for my citizenship a few weeks ago and have just been offered a temporary assignment in Asia by my company to launch a new market.
How frequently would I need to come back to Australia so I am still qualified? It’s mentioned about 9 of 12 months. Does it have to be 9 months contiguous? I still very much intend to return to Australia as we have a home and my home base with the company is still here.