WA How to Apply for Australian Citizenship for Daughter?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Asim

10 July 2016
Hi,

I got Australian citizenship this Jan 26, however, at the time of filling application my 6-year-old daughter was not in Australia, therefore, on advice of DIBP I didn't include her name in my application.

How can I apply now for her citizenship application as apparently, it should be a simple procedure because she neither requires citizenship test nor citizenship oath ceremony (important to note that she has been living with me for two years in Australia as well)?

Thanks and looking forward to some help!

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Where was she born?

Has she been here lawfully for those two years?

Asim

10 July 2016
Thanks for reply Tim.

Her country of birth is Pakistan. She was born in 2009 and I got PR in 2011. Yes, She was lawfully here in Australia on Skilled Migrant Visa Sub class 175. She even completed her first year of education in Australia.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
lawfully here in Australia on Skilled Migrant Visa Sub class 175
At that age, she was included on yours, surely?

Asim

10 July 2016
At that age, she was included on yours, surely?
Not only my daughter, my wife and my father too - a family of four, altogether, were issued with 175 visa, myself being the principal applicant and rest all three being dependents.

Asim

10 July 2016
Tim, I believe it should be a simple case for daughter as ideally fulfilment of residency requirement is for +18 only and for children it was merely including their names and they would get citizenship automatically when one of the parents get citizenship and that too without any extra fee.

However, as I said earlier, she was physically not in Australia at the time of application, so I concluded my application and got citizenship, thinking to apply for her separately soon after she arrives back here.

With all details above, I look forward to hear your expert solution to my query, please?

Appreciate your time!!!